Road biking

Looking for friends to go kayaking, cycling, hiking with (or to share whatever your favorite outdoor adventure may be)? Post about it here!

Road biking

Postby cvd » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:49 am

Since I sprained my back and couldn't climb for a few weeks, I bought a road bike, and so far it rocks! Went on a bike ride in the East Bay yesterday with a friend - from the Oakland hills through Redwood Regional Park (gorgeous views, beautiful park), to Moraga then Orinda, then back over the hill to Montclair (cute downtown) where we sat outside a restaurant basking in the sun, listening to some guy play the banjo, watching the world go by, and of course eating (a Denver Omlette tastes better after 35 miles on a bike!).

Of course there are lots of great places to ride around here, too. Good cardio, and love the fact that I can do cool rides right out my front door.

Here's my bike:

I know a lot of you own mountain bikes, but any road cyclists out there?

C.
Just Breathe!
cvd
Infliction affliction addiction

Postby Moji » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:26 pm

I am so down for this! I've been intermitently bike shopping for the last year. but now spending time/money on the house.......
did you find any good deals? I'm thinking craigslist.
Moji

Postby cvd » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:52 pm

Yeah, Craigslist is a good idea.

I got mine at REI, it was last year's model discounted about 30%, still not cheap though. (But I love it!)
Just Breathe!
cvd

Postby NinjaMonkey » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:43 pm

I just got back from doing a century, Vacaville to past Sac State and back. I love road biking, especially if you swim 2.4 miles to warm up, cycle 112,and then you have to run a marathon right after it, hehe :)

In all seriousness though, I'd be game for some rides. The Silverado Trail out and back is one of THE classic rides in CA IMO.
NinjaMonkey
Gettin' Aggro

Postby Dodrill » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:27 pm

You're sick. Just sick.

We used to ride from Angwin (I went to PUC) across the palisades 10 miles mostly up on our mountain bikes, then 6 miles down Oat Hill Mine Rd. to Calistoga, ride Silverado Trail to St. Helena, (16 miles) then up Old Howell Mountain Rd. back up to Angwin (mi?), arriving home totally spent.

Gotta get a bike again.
Manifest the Psych
Dodrill

Postby NinjaMonkey » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:50 pm

Dodrill wrote:You're sick. Just sick.

We used to ride from Angwin (I went to PUC) across the palisades 10 miles mostly up on our mountain bikes, then 6 miles down Oat Hill Mine Rd. to Calistoga, ride Silverado Trail to St. Helena, (16 miles) then up Old Howell Mountain Rd. back up to Angwin (mi?), arriving home totally spent.

Gotta get a bike again.
That sounds like a fun loop. I've done a few of Lake Berryessa loops into Napa and Fairfield, but never rode all the way through the 29 into Calistoga, then back home. I'm not sure what the mileage would be but it would be alot for sure and with alot of hills.
NinjaMonkey
Gettin' Aggro

Postby cvd » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:48 am

I think I'm gonna do this http://www.srcc.com/wcc.html.

I'll probably go metric for my first century ... then maybe do a regular century later in the summer (there's one in Marin in August I think).
Just Breathe!
cvd

Postby caughtinside » Sat May 19, 2007 3:14 pm

Hey, if anyone is game for a group ride let me know. I did 40 miles today, fairfax-olema-pt.reyes station-olema-pt reyes station-nicasio-fairfax, pretty killer!

Gotta get used to all these hills though, I'm used to cycling around davis and sacramento!

Oh, and don't get sucked in to riding with ninjamonkey. He talked me in to going for 'a nice saturday ride' the fourth day I had my bike and we ended up doing 90+ miles. he will show no mercy!!! :lol:
caughtinside
Professor of Randomness

Postby NinjaMonkey » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:25 pm

caughtinside wrote:Hey, if anyone is game for a group ride let me know. I did 40 miles today, fairfax-olema-pt.reyes station-olema-pt reyes station-nicasio-fairfax, pretty killer!

Gotta get used to all these hills though, I'm used to cycling around davis and sacramento!

Oh, and don't get sucked in to riding with ninjamonkey. He talked me in to going for 'a nice saturday ride' the fourth day I had my bike and we ended up doing 90+ miles. he will show no mercy!!! :lol:

That was a fun ride. The look on your face in Old Town was classic!

Lets get some more riding lined up. Bren and I bought a pair Mt Bikes this weekend and did our 1st ride today. We both (yes even her) had a blast, so I am looking forward to riping up some the local dirt as well.

I figured we should probably start training for the Ocean Blue Sprint coming up later this month that her and I are signed up to do, hehe.
NinjaMonkey
Gettin' Aggro

Postby caughtinside » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:00 am

WHOA! Did an AWESOME ride yesterday. Bolinas road out of fairfax is unbelievable, winds around all over, steady climb for miles and miles. Ended up on ridgecrest, and was able to bike all the way to East Peak on mt. tam! 17 miles to the top, very few cars and unbelievable views! LOTS of climbing, but it is steady at a manageable grade, nothing too tough.

Coming back down was like riding a land speeder on the 3rd moon of Endor, just rallying down twisty roads at high speeds in a redwood forest! Bad ass!!!
caughtinside
Professor of Randomness

Return to Other outdoor activities