Trail Running

Looking for friends to go kayaking, cycling, hiking with (or to share whatever your favorite outdoor adventure may be)? Post about it here!

Trail Running

Postby Dodrill » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:59 am

Post up your favorite trail runs! Trying to keep the cardio juice flowing. Thought Trail Running would qualify as a different topic than "Hard Training Hikes."

Leah and I decided to try meeting every week for a run. One of our objectives is to discover new trails and terrain in the area, prefering beautiful places and moderate to significant elevation gain/loss. For me, this is a good way to scout locations for photography while keeping in shape.

Yesterday we did a nice loop from Stump Beach into Salt Point via the North Trail, up the ridge, around the pygmy forest loop, down to Gerstle Cove and back up the crazy sandstone Tafoni coastline to the car.

The map revealed another longer loop we'll have to try, up the South Trail, through the coastal prairie, to Kruse Ranch Road, down the Chinese Gulch Trail in Kruse Rhododendron Preserve to Fisk Mill cove, then south down the coast past Stump beach and Gerstle Cove to the car at the south end of the park.

I haven't explored the trails at Sugarloaf/Hood Mtn, or Lake Sonoma, so those are on the list for future runs, and probably some of the fine trails in Marin and Napa. And Annadel, of course.

Where do you run?

Hey Sam, Let's hook up...
Manifest the Psych
Dodrill
Infliction affliction addiction

Postby Sam Mills » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:07 am

Jerry,
I'm game as soon as I recover from this flu I have. I had it most of last week, it went away, now it's back :evil:

I'll post here when I'm over this.

-S
Go Early, Go Fast, Go Far.
Sam Mills
plastic pimpin' gym rat

Postby Dodrill » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:46 am

Feeling better Sam? Leah and I did a nice run this morning from Blind Beach Trailhead at Goat Rock, south along the Kortum Trail to Shell Beach and up to the top of Red Hill. Nice uphill grind and the view, fog, light, ocean were astoundingly beautiful. No camera. :( Took 50 min. to the top, 1:20 round trip.

This morning somebody on SuperTopo posted a link to this great story about Jack Kirk, aka the Dipsea Demon. Good Trail running story about an old timer who graduated from PUC long ago.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/01/BAGB8NSRSD1.DTL
Manifest the Psych
Dodrill

Postby mow10 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:59 am

A nice Annadale run:

Park at Channel Drive. Run up Cobblestone, L on Orchard and follow it to the lake. Strip. Swim. Ahhh. Remember to get dressed and run down!
mow10
Proud nOOb

Other Run/Hike Options

Postby eric berghorn » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:09 am

I've done a couple loops a which go around behind bald mountain at Sugarloaf (4-5 miles car to car) A steeper and longer run/hike option is to park at the creek turnout before you get to the Sugarloaf park entrance and go all the way up to the gunsight notch (great summit views of Kenwood area from the high rocks.) Allow for 4-5 hours roundtrip depending on pace.
eric berghorn
Gettin' Aggro

Postby Dodrill » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:43 pm

Hey Dirt Runners,
There's a group forming every Sunday out of Bodega Bay. Tomorrow they are meeting at 11am at the Shell Beach parking lot North of BB. Wish I could go. Working.

JD
Manifest the Psych
Dodrill

Re: Trail Running

Postby ykrunner » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi All,

I'm new here. Just joined today today! If any of you are heading out to Marin/Napa area for trailrunning, let me know and I can give you the trails scoop! I've ran on many of these trails especially in the Marin/Mt. Tam/Muir Woods.

Yen
"Limit isn't in my dictionary"
ykrunner
Freshie

Postby Dodrill » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:40 pm

Hey Yen. Thanks for joining/posting. You're in Berkeley? I lived there in the '90s and ran a ton in tilden/redwood regional. Loved it. What are your fav's on Mt. Tam?

Jerry
Manifest the Psych
Dodrill

trailrunning

Postby ykrunner » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:31 pm

My favorites on Mt. Tam is to start off of the panoramic trail at peak of mt tam, then onto ocean trail then zigzag to dipsea connecting to muir woods then ending at stinson beach.
"Limit isn't in my dictionary"
ykrunner
Freshie

Return to Other outdoor activities