Damage to Mammoth Rubbings

Issues related to climbing access and safety.

Damage to Mammoth Rubbings

Postby Dodrill » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:32 pm

Begin Rant:

I'm sad to say, it's true. Moji, Celeste, and I saw it first hand last night. Some A-Hole has chipped/hammered off chunks of the beautifully polished stone at the E. end of the South facing long traverse wall. This is recent. Found three rocks that look to have been used for hammering and brought two home. This wasn't pro rock collector work, but crude caveman style whacking.

Over on Hard-On Traverse a plate is missing that used to form the lower, horizontal edge of this sidepull hold:

(edited)

If you see anyone pounding the rock out there, go cave man on their ass and call a ranger to cite them for destruction of natural/park/public resources.

End Rant.
Last edited by Dodrill on Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manifest the Psych
Dodrill
Infliction affliction addiction

Postby Dodrill » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:36 pm

If you know when that hold broke or fell off Hard-On, post up. It first broke a little bit a couple yearso ago I think, but now the rest of it is gone, along with a 10" diameter plate below it. **Sigh** I could be wrong on when this disappeared, but the other traverse is clearly very recent.
Manifest the Psych
Dodrill

Postby Moji » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:12 pm

and on the larger rock in front with the bouldering route on the south side: absolutely, someone with a hammer and chisel took out about a 3" chunk of rubbing right at eye level! scientists? or other? dunno but no reason at all for it to be climbing related.
Moji

Postby Dodrill » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:09 pm

Evidence:

Last edited by Dodrill on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manifest the Psych
Dodrill

Postby Moji » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:58 am

those are really beautiful photo's Jer, just had to mention it. Are those the places where we saw the evidence of chipping with tools?
Moji

Postby Dodrill » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:17 am

Yep. Beautiful. And- those white marks in the lower photos are places where someone was hammering and chiseling. You can see the chalked up hand holds nearby in the first couple shots.

Er... word is, the flake on Hard-On exfoliated naturally.
Manifest the Psych
Dodrill

Postby shazinky » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:40 pm

I believe it was last summer I first noticed the giant flake broken off of "hard on". I spyed a new line from a low start directly under where flake used to be. It took a couple trips out after work but I sent, and contacted all who may know (chris,kevin,sean,G +more) and no one knew it had been broken so I fiured it was pretty recent at the time. I also found small fragments of polished stone at the base though the bulk was conspicuously missing.
shazinky
Freshie

Return to Access and Safety