Why we wear Helmets!

Issues related to climbing access and safety.

Why we wear Helmets!

Postby Dodrill » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:22 am

Manifest the Psych
Dodrill
Infliction affliction addiction

Postby Moji » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:08 am

I"ve always wondered about helmet quality. what is the quality difference between the petzl roc and a helmet with this type of styrofoam shell? I've seen the shell fail in biking accidents, usually cracks and splits like this.
Moji

Postby Dodrill » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:26 am

This helmet did just what it was supposed to do. Absorb energy from the fall/impact instead of your head doing it. Did you read the linked story? This guy was mangled as it was. The helmet saved his life.
Manifest the Psych
Dodrill

Postby Moji » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:40 am

I know, but in the bike industry where multiple crashes to the head occur in a single fall it seems the helmet holds up for the first one and can break apart and not be there at all for subsequent impacts .. hmm. I've looked for safety info on the foam insert and found only the disclaimer" replace helmet after any impact" I guess we'll have to contact the kanooks (Canadians)
Moji

Postby Dodrill » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:16 pm

Hmm. Interesting point.
Manifest the Psych
Dodrill

Postby Chisholm » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:15 pm

helmets are designed for the sport that they are used for. All of their testing is based on the type of impact it is most likely to receive.

For example a motorcycle helmet is not the same as a car helmet. They are tested to different standards.

Even $700.00 auto racing lids are only meant to take one impact. after that the variables become so high that you wont find any company to rate it for more. And most recommend that you replace it even if there is no damage after five years. (because the materials start to break down.)
"I limp because I went for it"
-My Dad
Chisholm
Tongue-tied Philosopher

Return to Access and Safety