more on ALIENS

Issues related to climbing access and safety.

more on ALIENS

Postby Moji » Fri May 25, 2007 10:21 pm

There is more discussion on recent Alien failures , here's a link to a thread on Super Topo: http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/threa ... 79659&tn=0

this is a copy of an old press release when the first problems were noted Aug 06, no other comment from CCH has been forthcoming.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

The Orange CCH Alien cam that was reportedly involved in the Paradise Forks incident, has turned out to be dated 10-05, rather than the highly publicized date of early 2004. This information has been verified the by the Coconino County Sheriffs Depart both verbally and in photographic form, with Dave Waggoner of CCH, during CCH’s own internal investigation. It is however still unknown if this unit was clearly dimpled.

The window of the recall was 11-04 to 12-05, thus any Alien cams date coded during this period should be tested, dimpled or not.

CCH will tensile test customers’ Aliens, of any manufacture date at no charge, to ensure that they will withstand a fall. Testing is done to 2/3 the rated tensile strength. After testing, all cams are currently being identified with a “Tensile Tested” stamp on the main swage above the loop. We will test and return cams to our customers within 1 week of receiving them.

Please attach your complete contact information to each unit being returned for testing, to facilitate a speedy turn-around.

Dave Waggoner

Colorado Custom Hardware Inc.
115 East Lyon Street
Laramie, WY 82072 USA
(307) 721-9385
Moji
Infliction affliction addiction

Postby Moji » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:54 pm

well , the alien discussion continues on to the advantages and disadvantages of C3/s. Heads are actually popping off aliens occassionally (check sp?). Check your gear. look for date stamps or the words "tensile tested" on the pinch sleeve. 11/04-12/05 should go back. tensile tested must mean it HAS been tested right?
Moji

Postby Dodrill » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:51 pm

I want to buy a set. But I'm too much of a scardy cat.
Manifest the Psych
Dodrill

Postby Moji » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:36 am

I know, better to find some old ones gently used on ebay
Moji

Postby cvd » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:17 am

I love my yellow alien, it's my best friend (but don't tell my pink tricam I said that ...)
Just Breathe!
cvd

Return to Access and Safety